Sunday, August 15, 2010

Nook limitations

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have about 7 million family obligations in the next week.  I also start the school year again.  So instead of working on anything for those things, I am knitting and playing with my Nook.  I have 48 more hours of denial, and I'm not wasting a second of it.

For the record, the Nook is a pretty spiffy gadget.  It's taking some time for the touchscreen and I to make friends, but that's my problem, not the machine.  It's easy to read on, intuitive to use, comes with sudoku, and the Barnes and Nobles free book selection is interesting, if eclectic.  The only other problem I've encountered is a desire to shake it above my head like an etch-a-sketch to see if the words disappear.  So far, I have resisted the silliness.

However, I have discovered a limitation.  In the ebooks you buy, you can bookmark a page and highlight specific lines.  I, of course, was pondering the knitting applications, and thought, "How great for a pattern! I can mark the line I'm on and come back to it later!"  Not so.  On pdf files, I can bookmark, but not highlight.  There is no way to mark a specific line.  This means that knitting patterns will continue to require post-it notes or paper print outs.  Not the end of the world, of course, or even a reason to dislike the Nook.  And I like post-it notes -- I'm a teacher.  It's in the job description.

So if you need me in the next two days, I'll be the one with post it notes stuck all over my Nook, swearing at blue dental floss as I continue to knit on the Maelstrom shawl.  Against advice, I have not yet purchased pointier needles, nor have I found my stitch markers.  But there is a lifeline in the lace at row 60 (264 stitches in a round), so there's hope for me yet.

Pictures will follow when I remember during daylight hours.

2 comments:

  1. have you tried converting it from pdf into nook format? i use calibre to do this on my ereader (sony).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't tried to use it to read my knitting charts on yet, so I hadn't encountered that problem (hence, no suggestions for a solution). I'll tell you two other limitations I've found, though (with the caveat that I LOVE my nook). First, you also can't arrange your pdf library into folders (at least, I haven't been able to). And second, I share an account with my daughter's nook, which is wonderful, but it's not possible to only have some of our books on one nook and some on another, so we each have everything on both of our nooks. I'm not so fond of that...

    ReplyDelete