Friday, August 6, 2010

New blog

What to say?  How to start a new blog?

Let me introduce myself.  I am a knitter, teacher, and scientist, sometimes in that order.  I work teaching science to high school students.  I am looking for a forum to discuss these three topics.

Today:  Knitting, specifically gift knitting

I often find myself knitting for other people.  Recently, I finished a top down raglan for the baby of a woman I work with, a baby kimono for another friend who's expecting, and fibonacci socks for my brother's graduation from college (big stupid size 11 boy feet!).  I love my family and friends, and they are appropriately grateful knitwear receivers.  The pictures are from my camera phone, so excuse the poor picture quality.

I need to get a better camera, but it's a baby kimono, I swear.


About 10 different leftover sock yarns went into these.  Wild, but he'll love them.


So here's my dilemma . . . Do I have to knit for everyone for Christmas?  Because if so, I need to start now.  But I don't want to.  As much as I love them, I want to knit for me . . . so what's your policy on gift knitting?  Do I need to get going on a million pairs of felted slippers, or can I start that shawl I want?

6 comments:

  1. Put yourself first this time. You should benefit from your work. Any gift is only meaningful and authentic if given from generosity not obligation or guilt. From an economic perspective, the fewer you produce, the more valuable each is. BTW the socks sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,

    You'd like these socks. The fibonacci stripes are pretty cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!

    I know knitters (and other crafty types) don't want to hear this, but a lot of people want store bought gifts. Especially if you've given someone a lot of knitted gifts in the past. Unless they specifically ask you for a knitted thing I would guess they don't want one.

    I say this as a person who does crafty things and DOES like hand knit things, but everyone in my family would find a hand knit item as cheapskate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenny.

    I agree that some people are not handknit people, but unfortunately my family doesn't qualify in that category. They buy me yarn to knit stuff for them with . . . Still, I think I'm going to go easy on the Christmas knitting this year. I want to make some good stuff for me.

    ReplyDelete