Tuesday, May 21, 2013

New recipes

Each week I've been trying at least one new recipe to jazz up the meal planning.  Meal planning is serious business around here as food is one of our largest expenses.  We have dairy and soy allergies, so we can't just eat something grabbed from the supermarket unless that thing is a rotisserie chicken or a sushi roll.  Between whey (milk protein) and soy, about 90% of processed or convenience food is out.  Also, my husband and daughter NEED meat at every meal.  My husband becomes an unbearable grouch without it, and my daughter gets diaper rash from hell.  When I figured out that meat cured her diaper rash, it was a giant headtilt moment for me, but we'll go with what works.  Meat isn't cheap either, so we meal plan.

This week I tried two new recipes.  I like cooking on Sunday when I can swing it.  DH is there to help with the Munchkin, and it's nice to know the fridge is stocked with lunch food for the week.

Recipe 1:  Crock pot lemon chicken from here

Modifications:  I forgot the sugar and added ginger to the crockpot.  Also, I used chicken leg quarters instead of cut up thighs.

Thoughts:  Good.  "Very carroty" according to DH.  This will go into rotation.  Definitely needs the rice made separately, which does require a little more thought than some crock pot meals.

Recipe 2:  Meat pie.  I made this one up myself.

Ingredients:  Store pie crust (the kind with lard, not butter), 1lb ground beef, frozen mixed veggies, an onion, 1/4C flour, 1/2C beef broth, a little bit of fake butter (soy free), worschteshire sauce (however you spell it), sweet paprika, aleppo pepper, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.

Brown ground beef and set aside.  Chop and saute onion.  Add back in the beef and veggies.  Season.  Put into pie crust and then into 425F oven for 20 min.

Thoughts:  DH thought it was too spicy, but the Munchkin and I loved it.  In fact, I had it for breakfast and lunch yesterday.  This will go into rotation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment