Sunday, January 23, 2011

Soup!

It has been REALLY cold here in IL lately.  Today it's up to a balmy 6F.  So, I have made soup.  Specifically, two kinds of soup.  Here are the recipes, for when I want to replicate them later, or if you have a need for good soup where you live.

Lamb-Cous Cous Soup

2 lbs lamb
3 cups dry pearl couscous
1 bunch of celery, chopped fine
6 carrots, chopped fine
1 large onion
1 bunch cilantro
1 sq inch of fresh ginger, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic
12C homemade lamb stock
1 can tomato paste
some olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

I sauteed the garlic, onions, and fresh ginger in the olive oil.  Then I added the lamb and cilantro, and browned the lamb.  I added everything else at that point, and simmered it for about an hour.  It makes a tasty lamb soup, where the couscous melts in your mouth.  It's good.

Frontier Lentil Soup

This one was made from a soup mix, but I modified it heavily.  This is what I added to the lentils and seasonings:
Spicy Italian turkey sausage
3 cloves garlic
1 sq inch fresh ginger, chopped fine
1 bunch of parsley
1 large onion, chopped fine
1 bunch of celery, chopped fine
6 carrots, chopped fine
12C beef stock (made with Penzey's Soup Base)
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes

I sauteed the onions, garlic, and ginger.  Then I browned the sausage.  Once that was done, I added the lentils, seasoning pack, and all other ingredients except the tomatoes.  I simmered it for one hour, then added the tomatoes and simmered it for another 20 min.  This makes a zesty lentil soup.  It has lots of texture and good flavor.  It's a good warming soup.

I hope you're keeping warm and have lots of good food to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment