Friday, June 17, 2011

So I fell off the blogging wagon for a while.

It's been that kind of year.  Short version.  Got married in December, husband sent to Colorado Springs by the Army, I picked up an extra class of students at school, then I took a leave of absence for the fourth quarter, moved out to Colorado Springs, baked lots of bread, husband now in Afghanistan for the next year, and I'm back in IL.  Whew.  And I knitted.

And today I planted the veggie garden :-)  I'm not going to be living with my mother in law this year, but she did graciously allow me to take over chunks of her garden with vegetables.

A few comments on veggie shopping:

  • Home Depot had 5 (FIVE) different kinds of basil today.  I only picked two, and may go back for the other three soon.  They smelled GOOD.  I got spicy and thai, but I think I need cinnamon basil too . . . 
  • The hot peppers were all labelled this year, which will make them both less surprising and somehow less fun.  Last year my "hot pepper" was wonderful, and even though I bought the same kind, it feels less exciting with "serrano" on the pot.
  • I have spaced the cucumber and squash farther away from each other this year.  My mother in law had requested that I try to prevent them from climbing the tree, but I think that's overly optimistic.  And there's something cheerful about cucumbers that could fall on your head at any time.
  • I bought a tomato called "Mr. Stripey".  I love that Home Depot carries the heirloom kinds now.  And the name . . . "Mr. Stripey" :-)  *giggle*
  • I almost bought the lemon tomatoes, but I figured lemon cucumbers were enough unexpectedly yellow vegetables.
Gardens make me happy in a way that having my husband halfway around the world does not.  Hug your family, and dream of vegetables.  I have a Camp Loopy project to work on.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for growing things! I am the brownest thumb ever, but I do love the product of a good garden, and it sounds like you've got a good one there (Mr. Stripey, indeed :) ). I'll keep your husband in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete