Wednesday, September 1, 2010

This whole day job thing really interferes with blogging.

School is back in session.  We are well into week 2.  The 90F heat in our un-air-conditioned building has been lots of fun.  When I get home, I want to do nothing but nap with an ice pack and drink lots of ice water.

I shouldn't whine, though, because I have things going pretty well.  About 90% of my students are starting the year off well, and seem to be engaged in the class.  They like the meditation exercises we're doing, except the one kid who refuses to do them because he "likes being mad all the time".  There has been minimal whining by students, even when I've been making them learn how to take notes.  So far, so good.  Two of my five classes have earned seating charts (as opposed to picking their own seats), but that's par for the course.  The parent I talked to today seemed as upset as I was that his child had missed half of the 8 school days so far.  Overall, the year is looking pretty good.

I have not been knitting much, and need to figure out where it fits.  I did start another shawl for a friend who is having some BAD STUFF in her life just now.  So much for knitting for me, but at least it's not Christmas knitting.  For the record, shawls go a lot faster on size 11 needles than size 4 needles.

The cucumber plant is still fighting the squash for garden domination.  The major casualty so far is the basil plant.  Completely covered with cucumber vine, it's giving up the fight, but still making the garden smell good.  A woman who owns a garden center told me that she had heard that squash and cucumbers interfere with each other's pollination, and I might not get a lot of fruit.  Obviously, that was some other species of squash and cucumber because today I took 3 more giant squash and 14! lemon cucumbers out of the garden.  Do you live in IL and want cucumbers that look like yellow softballs?  Because if so, have I got a deal for you!  I'm taking 6 to work tomorrow to foist off onto my coworkers.  And it's still a good thing I like veggies.

And now, my bed is calling me.  Teenagers require a lot of energy and 4:30am comes fast.  Good night, and sweet dreams of too many vegetables :-)

2 comments:

  1. The battle in my garden is melon vs. squash. The squash is dominating so far, but soon frost will conquer both.

    Congratulations on a good start to the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i could take somme of those veggies off of your hands - they sound great! I'll leave you with the high school students, though - I have enough trouble with my college-aged ones :)

    ReplyDelete