Wednesday, October 6, 2010

New vocabulary use in 7th period.

My students have been learning new words this year.  This is not terribly surprising, but in addition to all the words I WANT them to learn (distance, displacement, etc), they are also learning things by listening to me speak.

A few weeks ago, I foolishly taught them the term "vertically challenged" (we were discussing political correctness).  They all agree that this is way worse than just being called "short", so of course they remembered it to call other people.  A good insult is not to be wasted, especially not one that is unlikely to send them to the dean.

Then, today, I used the term "nether bits" in class (We were talking about the metric system.  Of course I used the term "nether bits".  I have no idea why you're looking at me funny.)  The kids thought this was the best term EVER, and kept giggling and saying "nether bits" to themselves the whole period.

And then my two smartest boys started thinking about insults.  And so, today in class, one boy said to another, "You have vertically challenged nether bits!"

If I ever stop laughing, I need to decide if I think this is a good thing or not.  Looked at in the right light, this might just be education.

3 comments:

  1. Bwahahahahaaa!! Most DEFinitely education. At least, it's my kind of education (which may or may not say something about why my students seem to enjoy my classes). I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I laughed and read it out loud to my husband and made him laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm convinced that this is how we grow people who love language! Brava!

    ReplyDelete